MDSGC 2021-2022 Scholarship Information
THE REGULAR APPLICATION PERIOD FOR 2021-2022 SCHOLARSHIPS CLOSED ON MAY 14, 2021. Applications are still being accepted from students at institutions with available funding slots, currently: UMBC.
One of MDSGC’s goals is to support students who are attending or planning to attend an affiliate institution, who need financial support, and who wish to pursue studies in math, science, engineering, or technology, that are related to aerospace or may lead to a NASA-relevant career.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens enrolled as full-time students at a MDSGC affiliate, including:
- Johns Hopkins University
- Morgan State University
- Towson University
- University of Maryland College Park
- University of Maryland Baltimore County
- University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- Capitol Technology University
- Hagerstown Community College.
Award amounts vary and may be used for the following educational expenses: tuition, books, fees and room and board.
Applicants must provide the name and contact information of one person who can provide a recommendation. However, please note that recommendations are not automatically solicited and will only be requested by MDSGC if deemed necessary to make award decisions.
Eligibility and Awardee Requirements
To be considered for a MDSGC scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- U.S. Citizen.
- Application to, or enrollment in, an affiliate institution of MDSGC; see above.
- Full-time student majoring in a STEM area, including: engineering, computer science, the biological and life sciences, chemistry, geological sciences, physics and astronomy. Please note that we are specifically interested in students whose academic major and career aspirations are relevant to aerospace and NASA.
- Maintaining a 3.0 or higher GPA and appropriate major. Awards are generally renewable from one semester to the next, contingent on this requirement, although affiliate institutions may require students to reapply between academic years.
- Affiliates may also impose additional evaluation criteria beyond the eligibility requirements above. Some affiliates limit eligibility to returning (as opposed to incoming) students, including Towson University and the University of Maryland College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences. If you are unsure whether this restriction applies to your institution, please contact the corresponding scholarship committee member; contact information can be found via the links on the member institutions page.
Scholarship and internship awardees must agree to participate in MDSGC’s longitudinal tracking efforts, as mandated by NASA. This participation entails maintaining current contact information and responding to inquiries from the longitudinal tracking system, at least until the beginning of post-graduation employment. Longitudinal tracking is initiated by completing this Awardee Information Form.
Affiliates may also require scholarship recipients to participate in degree-relevant service activities, such as outreach events or laboratory training.
Deadline and Notification of Awards
THE REGULAR 2021-2022 APPLICATION DEADLINE WAS MAY 14, 2021. Currently, applications are still being accepted from students at institutions with available funding slots, listed at the top of this page.
After screening for eligibility, MDSGC forwards applications to the affiliate institution selected by the applicant. Successful applicants will be notified by the affiliate institution. Fall semester award notifications are usually issued by early August.